What could be worse than your air conditioner breaking down in the middle of summer? Knowing you could have done something to prevent it, but chose not to. Preventative HVAC maintenance is crucial to keeping the system running efficiently all year long. It can be easy to forget about, but annual maintenance is important if you want your unit to last a long time.
Some heating and AC repair services can be done easily without professional assistance. With that in mind, here are a few maintenance tasks you can do yourself:
- Remove any debris, including dirt, that may be blocking the outside unit
- Ensure any foliage near the outdoor unit is at least 18 inches away
- Keep supply and return vents unblocked
- Change the HVAC air filter each month or so. Energystar.gov states that most HVAC systems need their filters changed every one to three months.
While you can do some maintenance responsibilities yourself, there are a few things you should hire an AC company for. These tasks include:
- Checking the thermostat: An AC repair company technician can make sure the calibration of the thermostat is done correctly.
- Cleaning and adjusting the blower: If the blower isn’t running correctly, efficiency can decrease by up to 15%. Adjustments may need to be made to ensure proper airflow.
- Inspect the condensate drain: Over time, sludge may build up in the drain pipe, blocking the condensation from draining. The tech will check the drain and clean it out if necessary.
- Tightening electrical connections: Loose wires and connections can shorten the unit’s lifespan, so it’s crucial to ensure the wiring is correct.
- Lubrication of moving parts: Lack of lubrication can cause the equipment to overheat or break down, so it’s important to make sure the risk of friction is reduced.
There are many benefits to routine heating and AC repair services. The most obvious benefit is that you’ll have fewer repairs in the long run because you’ll have made sure your unit was in top shape. Additionally, ensuring your equipment is running efficiently will lower your energy bills. If you neglect your system, it will have to work harder to keep your home comfortable. So not only will it save you money on your monthly bills, it will also save you money in the long run by having a longer lifespan. Regular maintenance will help your unit last as long as possible while also decreasing the change of an unexpected breakdown. Lastly, routine maintenance will ensure your equipment is running safely and is causing no harm to you or your family.
If you keep all of this in mind and remember to keep up with routine heating and AC repair services and maintenance, your unit should continue to effectively keep your home comfortable all year long.